The Sales Flavoured Hero’s Journey
All of us – whether we are in the top echelon of corporate, manage a business unit or sell within a business, all of us, without exception, are on our own Hero’s Journey as we become genuine trusted advisors.
The Hero’s Journey is a clear structure you would recognise from blockbuster epics that include The Matrix, The Wizard of Oz and Star Wars where the hero leaves their ordinary world, gets called to a new world, is tested, slays their dragon and returns only to add value and contribute to the lives of others.
- Leaving the old world – the world where you know more than the customer!
- Ignoring the call – resisting change!
- Stepping into the new world – where expectations from customers are different!
- Being tested with one challenge after another – new technology, increasing competition, staff retention…
- Finding your allies, your enemies, your enemies posing as allies and valuing a mentor!
- Facing fear of the unknown, what people might think, rejection from others or fear of not being enough. Expanding who you are – metaphorically slaying your dragon!
- Breaking through your boundary conditions and winning that business, running that campaign, stepping up to the plate , realising you can do it with the right resources and resourcefulness!
- Returning to the Ordinary World and contributing your learnings, proud of who you have become, creating a new status quo!
Of course, this is a metaphor for all of us, whether it be beginning a business, beginning a new sales campaign, taking on a promotion, not settling for mediocrity…
It is a metaphor for personal leadership of the highest order – taking risks, finding a mentor, destroying limiting beliefs, overcoming adversity, contributing and adding value to others.
Everything a sales leader needs is at their fingertips… Where are you, your team or your business on your Hero’s Journey?
Be Bold, Brave and Brilliant
Bernadette McClelland is a Keynote Speaker whose message for businesses, sales teams and associations is based on mastering 'absolute certainty in an environment of absolute uncertainty'.
Her signature keynote 'ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY - FINDING YOUR BRAVE' is ideal for those environments looking for fearless leadership, shorter sales cycles and higher performance.
Her business, 3 Red Folders is a sales force development company headquartered in Melbourne, Australia designed to create sales centric cultures through sales strategy, process and psychology.
She is an award winning speaker, coach and author having proudly coached Harvard MBA students on their sales enablement curriculum, been the Master Asia Pacific coach for Anthony Robbins across twelve countries, authored five books on leadership and sales transformation, won a coveted Telstra award for Business Excellence, recognised as one of the Top 35 Most Influential Women In Sales globally and continually shares her ideas around behaviour, the brain and business growth on stages in the UK, Europe, Thailand, India, NZ, Australia and North America.