The Sales Flavoured Hero’s Journey
All of us – whether we are in the top echelon of corporate, manage a business unit or sell within a business, all of us, without exception, are on our own Hero’s Journey as we become genuine trusted advisors.
The Hero’s Journey is a clear structure you would recognise from blockbuster epics that include The Matrix, The Wizard of Oz and Star Wars where the hero leaves their ordinary world, gets called to a new world, is tested, slays their dragon and returns only to add value and contribute to the lives of others.
- Leaving the old world – the world where you know more than the customer!
- Ignoring the call – resisting change!
- Stepping into the new world – where expectations from customers are different!
- Being tested with one challenge after another – new technology, increasing competition, staff retention…
- Finding your allies, your enemies, your enemies posing as allies and valuing a mentor!
- Facing fear of the unknown, what people might think, rejection from others or fear of not being enough. Expanding who you are – metaphorically slaying your dragon!
- Breaking through your boundary conditions and winning that business, running that campaign, stepping up to the plate , realising you can do it with the right resources and resourcefulness!
- Returning to the Ordinary World and contributing your learnings, proud of who you have become, creating a new status quo!
It is a metaphor for personal leadership of the highest order – taking risks, finding a mentor, destroying limiting beliefs, overcoming adversity, contributing and adding value to others.
Everything a sales leader needs is at their fingertips… Where are you, your team or your business on your Hero’s Journey?
Be Bold and Brilliant!
Bernadette McClelland is an expert in sales conversations that drive value and deliver million dollar results. Contact her office now on 1300 935 226 or [email protected]